FSU Logo
Westcott Fountain

Top of Page

Bottom of Page

Florida State University
2014-2015 General Bulletin - Graduate Edition

Academic Regulations and Procedures

Required First Day Attendance Policy

University-wide policy requires all students to attend the first day of class meeting of all classes for which they are registered. Students who do not attend the first class meeting of a course for which they are registered will be dropped from the course by the academic department that offers the course. This policy applies to all levels of courses and to all campuses and study centers. It remains the student’s responsibility to verify course drops and check that fees are adjusted. Please refer to ‘Class Attendance’ below for additional information.

Class Attendance

Attendance at the first class meeting is mandatory unless properly excused by the class instructor. Students who do not attend the first class meeting of a course for which they are registered will be dropped from the course by the academic department that offers the course. This policy applies to all levels of courses and to all campuses and study centers. It remains the student’s responsibility to verify course drops and check that fees are adjusted.

All students are expected to abide by the class attendance policy set forth by the instructor in each class in accordance with the Faculty Handbook. When possible, students also must provide advance notice of absences, as well as relevant documentation regarding absences, to the instructor as soon as possible following the illness or event that led to the absence. Any arrangement to make up work because of class absence is the responsibility of the student. The instructor, who will explain the evaluation (grading) statement at the beginning of the term, determines the effect of absences upon grades.

Students must attend the section of the course for which they are registered. No instructor has the authority to permit a student to shift from one section of the course to another without following official drop/add procedures. No student may drop a course after the seventh week of classes without the permission of their academic dean.

Until a student is officially enrolled in a course, they are not permitted to attend class, submit assignments, or take tests. Exceptions include students auditing the course or making up work for a prior incomplete grade in the course. Students who are not officially registered for a course or do not appear on the course roster after the end of the second week of the semester should be referred to the appropriate office for documentation based on their circumstance. That may be the Office of Financial Aid, Student Financial Services, the Office of the University Registrar, the Office of Admissions, etc. Students may contact the Office of the University Registrar if they are unsure of which office they need to contact for documentation.

The Director of the University Health and Wellness Center does not issue excuses to students. A card indicating date and time of admission, discharge or treatment will be given to the student for presentation to the faculty member in a timely manner. Ultimately, the authority for deciding whether the student is excused for medical reasons rests with the instructor.

Students who are members of an intercollegiate team are required to attend all scheduled class meeting times or scheduled online activities associated with the course delivery. Absences due to illness, personal/family emergencies, or injury must be documented. Failure to adhere to the attendance policy may result in sanctions up to and including suspension from the athlete’s sport for the remainder of the season. This policy includes required attendance and completion of all final examinations or evaluations for each class in which the athlete is registered. Student-athletes must remain in good academic standing in order to maintain eligibility during post-season games, the upcoming semester, and future competitive seasons. Arranging to make up work missed because of legitimate class absence is the responsibility of the student.

Within the University there are several categories of students that are expected to exhibit behavior that conforms to the group to which they belong. These units include, but are not limited to, ROTC cadets, academic honor societies, veterans, athletes, medicine, and nursing majors. Membership within these units implies that the student agrees to fulfill the obligations of the organization.

Military Short-Term Absence Policy

Florida State University Military Short-Term Absence Accommodation Policy

The University recognizes and appreciates the important contributions made in service of our country by Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard members and their dependents. In order to accommodate those students and their dependents, University faculty and staff will provide these students the following options to accommodate unexpected training/drill, deployment, or change-of-station orders:

  1. For any training/drill, deployment, or change-of-station orders: Students will attempt to make arrangements with instructors to maintain and/or make up classwork as needed and to assign grades as appropriate (including Incompletes, to be made up later). Registration for those courses, in which instructors accommodate the absence will remain intact and tuition and mandatory fees will be assessed in full for those courses. Service members should provide instructors with maximum advance notice of absences, providing copies of training/drill, deployment, and/or change-of-station directives from the Military, Reserve, or National Guard.
  2. Instructors must accommodate absences of up to two weeks in duration (or equivalent in Summer) in accordance with paragraph one.
  3. When unable to make satisfactory arrangements with all instructors: Courses will be dropped and the tuition and mandatory fees for those courses will be rescinded.
  4. When unable to make arrangements with any instructors for unexpected orders requiring longer than a two-week absence: The student’s entire registration will be withdrawn or cancelled and 100% of the tuition and mandatory fees will be rescinded.

Academic Career, Academic Level and Classification of Students

The University classifies students based on whether or not they are degree-seeking. Degree-seeking students are further classified based on the type and level of degree they are pursuing. This classification is the academic career of the student. The University recognizes six academic careers, four degree-seeking and two non-degree. Although rare, a student may be active in more than one career at a time, subject to the academic policies and requirements of each career and the degree requirements.

Degree-seeking careers:

  • Undergraduate: students pursuing baccalaureate degree of any type
  • Graduate: students pursuing graduate degrees at all levels except the juris doctorate or doctor of medicine degrees
  • Law: students pursuing the juris doctorate (JD) degree
  • Medicine: students pursuing the doctor of medicine (MD) degree

Non-degree-seeking careers:

  • Non-Degree, without Baccalaureate: students without a baccalaureate degree
  • Non-Degree, with Baccalaureate: students who have previously earned at a minimum one baccalaureate degree or higher level degree

Depending on the career of the student, the university may record the advancement of the student toward completion of the degree by tracking the academic level of the student. The academic level of undergraduate students is calculated on the basis of semester hours. Students with a career of Law or Medicine are classified based on their year within the program. Graduate students and various non-degree students do not have specific academic levels or classification.

  • Graduate: admitted to a graduate program;
  • Law: first through third year;
  • Medicine (MD degrees): first through fourth year;
  • Non-Degree without Baccalaureate Degree;
  • Non-Degree with Baccalaureate Degree;
  • Provisional (graduate students only);
  • Transient; and
  • High School Students.

Non-Degree Student Regulations

Academic rules governing regular students (e.g., fees, drop/add, withdrawal, grading policies) also apply to non-degree students with the following exceptions:

  1. Non-degree students may enroll for fewer than twelve semester hours (underload) without permission.
  2. In place of the retention schedule for regular students, non-degree students with a baccalaureate degree must meet the following requirements: after attempting twelve semester hours, graduate non-degree students must have achieved and must maintain a 3.0 (“B”) average in all courses attempted.
  3. Failure to achieve or maintain the appropriate grade point average (GPA) will result in a loss of registration privilege and dismissal from the University.
  4. Non-degree students may register for any course or courses on an S/U basis. Non-degree students selecting courses for enrichment or other reasons where grades are not essential are advised to register on an S/U basis or on an audit basis.

Consult the “Academic Regulations and Procedures” chapter of the General Bulletin for policies relating to non-degree student status at the undergraduate level.

Registration of Non-Degree Students

All registration by non-degree students is on a space-available basis. Because of excessive demand for some graduate courses, non-degree students may be enrolled in such courses only with the permission of the graduate officer of that particular unit.

Reclassification from Non-Degree Student to Regular Status

Non-degree students wishing to change to regular-student status must apply for admission through the Office of Admissions. Refer to the “Admissions” chapter of this Graduate Bulletin for admission procedures and deadline dates.

Work taken as a non-degree student carries no degree credit. If the work is taken within the time limits prescribed by the degree program and approved by the department chair and dean at the time of reclassification or later, up to twelve hours of graduate-level credit with a grade of “B” or better in each course may count toward the degree, provided the student qualifies for admission to a graduate degree program.

Full-Time Student Course Load

Recipients of stipends from the University, whether holders of fellowships or assistantships, must be full-time students as defined below. Non-degree students are not required to obtain underload permission.

The University reserves the right to determine full-time status based on course and/or research load, and stage of degree completion.

The standard full-time load for graduate students is twelve credit hours per semester, unless the student is receiving a university assistantship or fellowship. Some departments may permit such students to enroll on a part-time basis. A student who wishes to register for fewer than twelve credit hours per semester must have written approval from his/her academic dean prior to registration. For thesis-seeking master’s students, after completion of the required coursework and six credit hours of thesis, master’s students must be enrolled for a minimum of three credit hours per semester (of which at least two must be thesis hours) until completion of the degree. Doctoral students, after completion of the preliminary exam and twenty-four credit hours of dissertation, must be enrolled for a minimum of three credit hours per semester (of which at least two must be dissertation hours) until completion of the degree.

For graduate students receiving a university or externally-funded fellowship, twelve credit hours per semester constitutes a full-time load. A student who wishes to register for fewer than twelve credit hours per semester must have written approval from his/her academic dean prior to registration.

For graduate assistantship holders on a quarter-time or greater appointment, nine credit hours per semester is defined as a full-time load. Academic deans may grant exceptions to this policy for teaching assistants in those departments which conform to national course load policies in their disciplines.

To receive financial aid, all graduate students must be enrolled for at least six credit hours per semester.

To satisfy the Residence requirement, all doctoral students must be enrolled for twenty-four credit hours during any single period of twelve consecutive months.

The number of credit hours which a graduate student may carry without special permission is fifteen. A heavier load may be permitted by the student’s academic dean.

Graduate-level courses may be modified downward in credit for a student by the student’s academic dean.

Included in the calculation of student load are credit hours of graduate credit other than formal coursework, e.g., credit hours in thesis or dissertation, in directed individual study, in supervised research, and in supervised teaching.

For federal immigration reporting requirements, international (F-1 or J-1) students meet the full course of study requirement with enrollment of a minimum of nine credit hours in the fall and spring semesters, prior to completion of coursework. Departments may require additional enrollment, depending on department policy. After completion of required coursework, the standard university policy applies. An F-1 or J-1 student who wishes to reduce enrollment below the required levels must request permission, in advance, from an adviser at the Center for Global Engagement. For more information, visit http://cge.fsu.edu.

Directed Individual Study Courses

Students may enroll in courses directed by an instructor for individual study of a particular area. Individual academic departments or programs determine directed individual study policies for students taking directed individual study courses in that department or program. The directed individual study course title must be approved in writing by the instructor offering the course and the departmental chair, or representative, and is posted on the student’s record.

Office of the University Registrar

Registrar: Kimberly A. Barber; Associate Registrars: Ann DelRossi, Andrew Konapelsky, Dianne Skinner

Location: A3900 University Center; phone: (850) 644-1050; e-mail: registrar@admin.fsu.edu; Web: http://registrar.fsu.edu/

The Office of the University Registrar is the official custodian of permanent academic records of all past and currently enrolled students at Florida State University. It is responsible for assisting departments and students with registration activities, maintaining student and departmental records for the term in progress, preparing transcripts, scheduling academic space, maintaining and updating curricula, certifying eligibility to receive credit for Credit by Examination, certifying attendance for loan purposes, implementing and monitoring academic regulations, certifying eligibility to graduate, and providing services and information to students, faculty, and administration. Reports and certifications of attendance and grade point average are made to governmental agencies, such as the Veterans’ Administration, with the student’s permission.

Students should consult this office with questions concerning registration, locations, and meeting times of courses; errors in registration records; dropping and adding courses; cancellation of registration; grade problems; application for graduation; and degree or enrollment verification.

Report immediately all changes in permanent and local addresses, name, social security number, divisions and majors, and residency, to this office.

Persons with Disabilities. Any student in need of specific services and reasonable accommodations should contact the Student Disability Resource Center, 108 Student Services Building, (850) 644-9566, or visit http://www.disabilitycenter.fsu.edu.

Registrar Cancellation of Schedule

Students allowed to register in error are canceled by the Office of the University Registrar.

Students who are dropped or deleted from their last or only course by an academic department because of nonattendance the first day of class are canceled by the Office of the University Registrar. This cancellation is without liability for tuition. A student whose registration is canceled by the University Registrar must apply for readmission.

Cancellation of Student Schedules for Non-Payment of Tuition and Fees

In accordance with Florida State University Regulation 6C2R-2.0248, students who do not pay tuition and fees or make arrangements for tuition and fee payment by the published deadline each semester may have their schedules canceled. Students will be notified using their FSU e-mail account concerning outstanding tuition delinquencies and given an opportunity to pay tuition and fees or make arrangements for tuition and fee payment with the Office of Student Financial Services prior to cancellation. Students whose schedules are canceled for non-payment of tuition and fees will have their academic progress discontinued for the term in question and will not be able to attend class or receive grades.

Reinstatement of Student Schedules Canceled for Non-Payment of Tuition and Fees

Students whose schedules are canceled for non-payment of tuition and fees may appeal to the University Registrar for reinstatement and continuation of academic progress for the term. A written appeal must be submitted to the University Registrar no later than the end of the seventh week of the Fall and Spring semesters (consult the Registration Guide for Summer term deadlines). Prior to a student’s appeal being approved, the Office of Student Financial Services must verify that payment for the current term has been received or that appropriate arrangements have been made for tuition and fee payment. Students whose schedules are reinstated are subject to a $100.00 late registration fee and a $100.00 late payment fee. Check or credit card payments that are returned or refused will negate any tuition payment agreement for the reinstatement of a student’s schedule. The University reserves the right to deny reinstatement when a demonstrated pattern of tuition delinquencies over two or more semesters has occurred.

Student Cancellation of Schedule

A student may cancel registration during the first four days of classes for a semester or Summer session by submitting a written request to the Office of the University Registrar A3900 University Center or to Withdrawal Services, A4300 University Center. Beyond the fourth day of classes, a student cannot voluntarily cancel registration but must apply for withdrawal from the university. Students who cancel their registration within the first four days are not liable for tuition; if tuition has been paid, such students should request a full refund of fees. Students who cancel their registration and are not enrolled for the following term (non-enrollment for two consecutive terms) must apply for readmission.

International students who wish to cancel their registration must request and receive prior authorization from a Center for Global Engagement adviser. In addition, international students should submit the SEVIS Update Form, available at http://cge.fsu.edu/forms/f1forms/SEVISTransferForm.pdf.

Drop/Add or Changes of Schedule

During the first four days of classes, individual courses may be added, dropped, or sections of a course changed. Students are financially liable for all courses appearing on their schedule after the fourth day of classes. To add courses after the first four days of classes may require the academic dean’s approval. Courses dropped during this period do not appear on the student’s transcript. Courses may be dropped through the seventh week of classes with the exception of courses involved in allegations of academic dishonesty; however, tuition charges remain. Approval by the student’s academic dean is required to reduce the academic load below twelve semester hours or increase an academic load above fifteen semester hours (to a maximum of twenty-one semester hours). Dean’s approval for an overload or underload must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar. If the student is appointed as a graduate assistant or is supported on a fellowship, an underload request form must be completed and submitted to the Dean of The Graduate School for approval.

After the seventh week of classes, courses may be dropped only in exceptional circumstances. Approval is required by the adviser and the academic dean. Such courses will appear on the student’s transcript with the notation “WD.” Students who register for courses but who do not attend the classes will receive grades of “F” if the courses are not officially dropped.

Students Called to Active Military Duty

Students called to active duty who wish to receive incompletes for the semester and complete the coursework at a later date should fax or present to their individual instructors a copy of the orders calling them to active duty along with a written request to receive an incomplete (“I”) in the course. Students called to active duty who prefer to have their schedules administratively cancelled should fax [(850) 644-1597] or hand-carry a copy of their orders along with a statement requesting an administrative cancellation to the Office of the University Registrar, A3900 University Center. Also see Military Short-Term Absence Policy.

Auditor Seating Privileges

All regularly enrolled students and persons not enrolled in the University are afforded seating privileges after registration on a space-available basis with permission of the instructor, payment of the prescribed fee for each course, and presentation of the appropriate form approved by the Office of the University Registrar. Since no credit is allowed for attendance via “seating privilege,” admission to the University is not required. The course(s) taken will not appear on the student’s permanent record.

Students are cautioned not to preregister for any course they intend to audit. They will have to drop the course(s) from their official schedule and will incur additional financial liability.

Note: Citizens 60 years of age or older who are Florida residents may attend classes under “seating privileges” criteria, and fees are waived except for those courses requiring individual instruction.


The Office of the University Registrar issues official transcripts at the written request of the student. Individuals needing official transcripts should make a written request directly to the transcript section of the Office of the University Registrar or online at http://my.fsu.edu.

Transcript service may be denied if a financial or judicial stop has been placed on a student’s record. Clearance from the Controller’s Office or the Judicial Office must be obtained prior to the release of the transcript. Transcript service may also be denied if the request is made by a third party without the student’s written consent.

A charge of $5.00 will be assessed for each official transcript issued.

The University reserves the right to issue transcripts to other state of Florida schools for those students who attend the University under the state transient process. Students are responsible for any transcript fees incurred for providing these transcripts as required by the transient application process.

Unofficial transcripts are available to students free of charge. Visit http://my.fsu.edu, click the Secure Apps tab and select My Unofficial Transcript.

Proof of Enrollment

All student enrollment verifications will be by official request only. Students in need of enrollment verification should submit an electronic request through the Student Central section of the myFSU portal (http://my.fsu.edu). Select Enrollment Verification. Follow the instructions to obtain your enrollment verification letter. Your letter will be processed the following business day. Written requests may be submitted directly to:

Office of the University Registrar
Florida State University
A3900 University Center
282 Champions Way
PO Box 3062480
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2480.

Former students or outside agencies may request an enrollment verification or degree verification online from the National Student Clearinghouse at http://www.degreeverify.org.

Access to Records

Students have the right to have access to their student records on file in the Office of the University Registrar. Students requesting access to information in their file, or a third party requesting information in a student’s file with the written consent of the student, have the right to a response from the Office of the University Registrar within thirty days. When the record includes information on more than one student, only the information pertaining to the student making the request will be given.

Parental or Third Party Access to Records

Students may give a designated parent(s), or other third parties (i.e. sibling, spouse, etc.), authority to review their University financial status, grades, transcript, student profile, etc. by logging onto the myFSU portal (http://my.fsu.edu) and selecting the Parent/Third Party Access link within Secure Apps. Granting access to a parent or third party to view information in this manner also authorizes University personnel to discuss those records with the designated parent or third party.


During each academic term, an official registration is held for all currently enrolled, degree-seeking students who expect to enroll for the following term. Graduate students registering for their first term should consult with the departmental/program adviser prior to registering for classes.

Registration at Florida State University is conducted by Web site. To register online, go to http://my.fsu.edu and choose “Enroll in Classes”. Using the Web site, students can register for all of their courses in a matter of minutes and can gain access to information concerning their tuition and fees from the privacy of their own home. Please note that by registering, students accept both fee and grade liability. Students are advised if the requested course is available and informed of other matters related to registration, such as variable credit.

Registration Guide and Course Schedules

Florida State University publishes the Registration Guide. The Guide contains a list of all registration deadlines, fee and payment information, and important announcements. This information is published online at the Office of the University Registrar Web site, at http://registrar.fsu.edu.

Lists of course offerings, meeting times, locations, and instructors (when known) are available online through the Course Search. This system is available twenty-four hours a day, year round. The Course Search is only available for newly admitted and current students through the myFSU portal (http://my.fsu.edu) or on the Web site of the University Registrar through the “Course Look Up” link (http://registrar.fsu.edu). Prospective students and all others may access a PDF listing of courses available on the Web site of the University Registrar through the “Snapshot of Class Search as a PDF (refreshed weekly)” link (http://registrar.fsu.edu).

Students are advised to organize their materials and plan their schedule before attempting to register online. Course listings for an upcoming semester will be available fourteen days prior to the first registration window for that semester. Students must contact the appropriate departmental office for any clearances or authorization needed. Individual instructors should be contacted for courses requiring instructor permission. It is important to take care of any academic or administrative hold (stop) before attempting to register.

Registration Responsibility

Students are responsible for meeting prerequisites and corequisites for each course in which they are enrolled. Students are also responsible for any changes made to their schedule without an adviser’s approval through the drop/add process.

Students may attend and receive credit only for those courses in which they are properly registered. Likewise, students will be held responsible for every course for which they register unless they officially drop the course or cancel registration prior to the published deadlines.

Those students who register during late registration (normally the first four days of classes) will be assessed a $100.00 late registration fee.

Registration Permits

All permits, such as directed individual study (DIS), satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) grading, and requests to take a graduate course by undergraduate students, ideally should be completed at the time of academic advisement. All permits must be completed by the end of the seventh week of classes of the Fall or Spring semester, or by the prorated term deadlines published in the Summer Academic Calendar. Many permits require the signature of the academic dean as well as the adviser. Students are responsible for ensuring that the Office of the University Registrar has copies of these permits on file.

Course/Credit Modification

Course credit may be modified downward with the approval of the chair of the department that is offering the course and the appropriate academic dean. No course may be modified upward. Any student wishing to modify credit may obtain the necessary forms in the Office of the University Registrar.

Stops to Registration

Registration is prevented if all academic and/or administrative requirements have not been fulfilled prior to the term. A stop may be placed on the student record if one or all of the following deficiencies exist: academic dismissal, incomplete admissions documents, fiscal deficiency, or failure to process readmission papers after a withdrawal or after a two-term absence (including the Summer term) from the University. Also, failure to meet specific requirements of a University college, school, or department, the judicial office, or the office of non-degree students may induce a registration stop.

A stop is placed on all students who have outstanding charges due to the University. Students owing any fees are not permitted to register for classes. The stop is not removed and such students are not permitted to register until the debt is cleared.

Students notified of a stop should contact the notifying office immediately and arrange for removal to be allowed to register for classes, receive official transcripts, and/or receive a diploma.

If students with a stop on their record are allowed to register in error, they are considered illegally enrolled in the University. If the stop is not removed after notification of such an error, the student’s registration is subject to cancellation.

Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University–Florida State University Interinstitutional Registration

A full-time student at one institution may enroll in one or more courses at the other institution under the following conditions:

  1. Permission is to be given by the academic dean of the student’s home university;
  2. Courses taken at the host university should be those normally not offered at the student’s home university;
  3. Students taking courses at the host university on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) basis will be held to the home institution policies regarding the total number of courses allowed on S/U basis or in a specific degree or major. Students are encouraged to consult their academic adviser about any limitations prior to registration;
  4. The final grade obtained by the student shall be reported directly to the student’s home university for entering on the student’s transcript. Grades, credits, and quality points are treated as home-institution work;
  5. All tuition and fees are paid to the home institution;
  6. Faculty and full-time students at either institution have equal access to the library facilities at both institutions;
  7. Students must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative Florida State University GPA to be eligible to participate in the co-op program. Prior to attempting twelve hours, students who fail to maintain the 3.0 GPA may consider themselves on probation, although no entry will be placed on their transcript, and they may continue to enroll, assuming all other conditions of eligibility are met. After attempting twelve hours, students must meet and maintain the minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA to continue enrolling through the program; and
  8. To register, see the FAMU–FSU Cooperative Program representative in the Office of the University Registrar. For engineering requirements, see the “FAMU–FSU College of Engineering” chapter of this General Bulletin.

Interinstitutional Transient Students

This program enables students to take advantage of special resources and/or programs not available at their home institution. An interinstitutional transient student, by mutual agreement of the appropriate academic authorities in both the sponsoring and hosting institution, will receive a waiver of admission requirements of the host institution and a guarantee of acceptance of earned resident credits by the sponsoring institution except in the case of international credits. An official course-by-course evaluation is required for all academic records from non-U.S. institutions. We recommend the evaluation be done by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (http://naces.org) or the International Education Credential Services provided by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (http://ies.aacrao.org).

Interinstitutional transient students must be recommended by their own academic dean, who will initiate a visiting arrangement with the appropriate dean at the host institution. Students will register at the host institution, paying tuition and/or registration fees established by that institution. The approval of one institution does not bind the other to comply.

Students from other institutions who wish to take courses at Florida State University should submit an approved Interinstitutional Transient Student application to the Office of Admissions by the published deadline. (Consult the “University Calendar” chapter of this Graduate Bulletin for specific application deadlines.)

Note: Academic rules governing regular students (e.g., fees, drop/add, withdrawal, grading policies) also apply to transient students.

Faculty Members Seeking Advanced Degree

No faculty member above the rank of instructor (e.g., assistant professor, associate professor, or professor) may work toward an advanced degree at the University. Exceptions are made when the faculty member already holds the terminal degree in her/his field and wants to pursue either another PhD in a different field or a less advanced degree than the one he/she holds (e.g., a faculty member holding a PhD may pursue a master’s degree).

Undergraduate Course Examinations

Graduate students enrolled in undergraduate courses are subject to the Undergraduate Course Examination Policy. For more information, refer to the “Academic Regulations and Procedures” chapter of the General Bulletin.

Grading System



Quality Points Per Credit Hour






























Honors Medicine



Pass Medicine















Incomplete Expired



No Grade Received from Instructor



No Grade Expired



Withdrawn while Passing



Withdrawn with Dean’s Permission



Examination Credit



Departmental Examination



Grade Point Average

Quality points are assigned for each semester hour as listed above. In computation of the required grade point average (GPA) for retention and conferral of a degree, the total number of quality points is divided by the total number of semester hours for which letter grades are received. A graduate student whose cumulative grade point average for courses taken at Florida State University falls below a 3.0 at the end of a term (not counting courses for which “S” or “U” grades may be given) will be placed on academic probation.

With the approval of the department, the academic dean, and the Dean of The Graduate School, some graduate coursework taken at Florida State University will be excluded from the student’s GPA. Permission for the Florida State University GPA to begin as a new calculation for graduate students shall be granted in the following admission/readmission circumstances:

  1. When seven or more years have elapsed since a student was actively enrolled in a graduate degree program at Florida State University;
  2. A student has earned a master’s/specialist/doctoral degree from Florida State University and is seeking a second master’s/specialist/doctorate; or
  3. A student has earned a master’s/specialist degree from Florida State University and is seeking a doctorate in a different major.

Aside from these exceptions, the Florida State University GPA will not begin as a new calculation for graduate students in the following admission/readmission circumstances:

  1. During any period of time less than seven years in which the student was not actively enrolled in a graduate degree program at Florida State University; or
  2. A student has earned a master’s/specialist degree from Florida State University and is seeking a doctorate in the same major.

All requests for exception to this policy and its specifications must be endorsed by the students’ academic dean and submitted to the Dean of the Graduate School for approval.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Course Option

With the permission of the major professor or chair of the student’s major department, a student may enroll in as many as six semester hours during the master’s degree program or up to nine semester hours during the doctoral program on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis. A student’s registration in a course under the S/U option must be indicated on the proper form to the Office of the University Registrar from the major professor or chair of the student’s major department. A student may change to a letter-grade (A, B, C) or S/U basis during the first seven weeks of the Fall/Spring semesters or, in the case of Summer terms, by the prorated deadlines published in the Summer Academic Calendar. Please note that some courses are offered for S/U grade only and are not available for a letter grade.

Semester hour restrictions as stated above on the S/U option do not apply to courses normally offered on the basis of the S/U grading system, including courses in the College of Law for students of other graduate programs. Such hours are exempt from the total stipulated as permissible in the preceding paragraph.

In individual study, thesis, dissertation, recital, supervised research, and internship credit, as well as for courses taken on the S/U option, the assigned grade will be “S” (satisfactory) or “U” (unsatisfactory). Although course hours with a grade of “S” will be credited toward a degree, the “S” and “U” grades are not used in determining grade averages for admission to candidacy or for conferral of a degree.

Incomplete Grade Policy

Incomplete (“I”) grades should be recorded only in exceptional cases when a student, who has completed a substantial portion of the course and who is otherwise passing, is unable to complete a well-defined portion of a course for reasons beyond the student’s control. Students in these circumstances must petition the instructor and should be prepared to present documentation that substantiates their case. Incomplete grades should not be granted in order to allow students to do extra coursework in an effort to increase their grade.

Even under these circumstances, the authority for determining whether to grant an incomplete rests solely with the instructor. A graduate teaching assistant must have approval from a supervising faculty member to grant an incomplete. One exception to this guideline occurs when an incomplete is applied as a result of allegations of academic dishonesty that have not been resolved by the end of a semester. Deans’ offices can often provide guidance to instructors regarding the appropriateness of an incomplete grade in individual cases.

In order to assign an incomplete, an instructor is required to indicate on the grade roster the time frame for resolution of the grade and the default grade to be assigned if the student does not complete the remaining academic work. Some departments also require that an incomplete grade be documented with an “Incomplete Grade Agreement.” It is the student’s responsibility to complete the remaining academic work within the agreed-upon time frame.

Under University policy, an incomplete grade automatically reverts to the predetermined default grade at the end of the semester that has been specified by the faculty member as the time frame for resolution, unless one of two conditions is met:

  1. Upon completion of the agreed-upon work, the instructor submits a grade-change form that replaces the “I” with the final grade for the course;
  2. The instructor submits a separate “Incomplete Extension of Time” form to the Evaluation and Posting Section of Admissions and Records before the end of the semester in which the “I” is set to expire.

In cases where no default grade or instructor-determined expiration semester exists, incomplete grades will expire to an IE (Incomplete Expired) at the end of the next term of enrollment unless the instructor submits a grade change form prior to the official grade posting deadline. No grade changes will be made to default grades or unresolved “I” grades after the degree has been granted. Thus, it is critical that an instructor work closely with the student and department staff regarding the clearance of an incomplete grade.

Grading Practices

At the end of each term, a report of each student’s grades is made available through Florida State University’s my.fsu.edu site.

Once a final grade in a course has been reported by the instructor to the Office of the University Registrar, it cannot be changed by the instructor except in cases of error in recording. A change in a grade may be made only by permission of the department head and the dean of the college.

The University will not automatically expire “I” grades earned prior to Fall 2010 or “NG” grades earned for any semester. Students must work with faculty and academic deans to resolve any outstanding “I” or “NG” grades prior to graduation. Outstanding “I” or “NG” grades that are not resolved prior to the degree posting will not be changed except in cases of error in recording. Faculty and academic deans reserve the right to expire an “I” or “NG grade to “IE” or “GE” respectively. These grades are considered final grades and will calculate as an “F” in the student’s overall GPA. In cases where the “I” or “NG” grade was earned in a course approved for numeric grades or “S/U”, the grade will expire to the lowest possible value, generally a zero or “U”. Grades of “I” are not assigned to any courses if a student withdraws from the University. A grade of “I” or “NG” in a course that is approved for “S/U” or numeric grades will follow the same grading and expiration policy.

Grades earned at another institution cannot be used to improve a grade point average or eliminate a quality point deficiency at Florida State University.

Grade changes to course earned prior to posted degree.

Once a degree has been awarded, all coursework leading to that degree is considered final and not subject to change. Grade changes or withdrawals for coursework that applies to the awarded degree may be considered only in cases of documented University error or in cases where the courses in question are documented as applying to a degree that is still in progress.

Forgiveness Policy

Effective Fall 2004, Florida State University has discontinued the forgiveness policy for all students. Please refer to the ‘Drop /Add or Changes of Schedule’ section in this chapter for additional information.

Dismissal and Reinstatement

The University reserves the right to exclude at any time a student whose conduct is deemed improper or prejudicial to the interest of the University community or whose academic performance is substandard, regardless of GPA.

A graduate student, excluding College of Law students and MD candidates in the College of Medicine, whose cumulative grade point average for courses taken at Florida State University falls below 3.0 at the end of a term (not counting courses for which “S” or “U” grades may be given) will be considered not in good standing by the University and will be placed on academic probation. If a 3.0 cumulative grade point average is not attained by the end of the next full term of enrollment, the student will not be permitted to register for graduate study, including registering as a non-degree student. However, at the time of dismissal, the major professor may petition the academic dean for consideration of special circumstances that the professor thinks constitute justification for an exception to this regulation, but under no circumstances will a student be allowed more than one additional term of probation. Owing to the differential uses of the designation, “academic probation” shall not appear on permanent records of regular graduate students. After one probationary period, however, a student whose average falls within the probationary range will receive automatic dismissal. Statuses of “academic warning,” “probation,” or “reinstated from dismissal” do not specifically prohibit a student from participating in extracurricular activities unless otherwise specified by University policy, rules, or by-laws governing the activity or organization. Consideration of the academic dismissal takes priority over any readmission application and must be resolved first. Students on dismissal are not eligible for readmission or the readmission appeal process unless they have first been reinstated by the academic dean. The academic dean is the final authority for reinstatement considerations.

Students pursuing multiple degrees under different careers (i.e., graduate and undergraduate simultaneously) are subject to the retention standards of the career associated with each degree. Dismissal from one career does not automatically constitute dismissal from the second career when those careers are different (undergraduate and graduate).

Dismissal and Reinstatement for Professional Colleges

College of Law students who maintain an unsatisfactory cumulative grade point average are subject to academic oversight and may not register for classes without receiving schedule approval from the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Each semester, the College of Law academically dismisses any student who has failed to maintain the minimum cumulative grade point. Students may also be academically dismissed for receiving an excessive number of unsatisfactory course grades. The College of Law has no probationary period for academic dismissal and no right to return. Students who have been academically dismissed must apply for readmission to the College of Law. The complete policies for academic oversight, academic dismissal, and readmission are specified in Section 13 of the College of Law’s Academic Rules, Policies, and Procedures Bylaws.

For students in the College of Medicine, the Student Evaluation and Promotions Committee (SEPC) reviews each student at the end of each semester and academic year and makes decisions regarding retention and promotion. The SEPC may require an adjustment of academic load, repetition, dismissal, or other change of status based on unsatisfactory academic performance and/or displaying behavior that fails to meet the level of professionalism reasonably expected of medical students and future physicians. Students may be allowed to repeat an academic year once and will remain on probation for the entire duration of that repeated academic year. The complete policies for promotion, remediation, probation, and dismissal are specified in the College of Medicine’s Student Handbook.

Continuous Enrollment

Continuous enrollment at Florida State University is defined as enrollment without an interruption of two or more consecutive semesters (including Summer term). Credits earned at other institutions during any semester while not registered at Florida State University will not constitute continuous enrollment at the University. Students who are not enrolled at the University for two or more consecutive semesters must apply for readmission before resuming their studies.


Please refer to the “Admissions” chapter in this Graduate Bulletin for readmission policies for returning students who have not been dismissed.

Withdrawal from the University

All students who wish to leave the University after the close of the drop/add period for a term must formally withdraw. Dropping all classes does not constitute formal withdrawal. Students who do not attend classes and fail to withdraw will be assigned grades of “F” for each course. Withdrawals are initiated in the withdrawal services section of the Office of the Dean of Students in the University Center.

The statement “Withdrew from the University” will appear on the transcripts of students who properly withdraw within the first seven weeks of class. After that date, depending on the quality of work at the time of withdrawal, grades of “W” or “F” will be assigned by instructors and placed on the student’s transcript with the withdrawal statement. Under documented exceptional circumstances (beyond the student’s control), as determined by the appropriate academic dean, a student withdrawing from the University may receive “WD” grades in all courses taken that term.

Students who cancel their enrollment during the first four days of classes for a term are not held liable for tuition and registration fees. Those who have paid are eligible for a full refund. Students who withdraw after the first four days of classes but prior to the end of the fourth week of classes are eligible for a twenty-five percent refund of tuition and registration fees, less the building and capital improvement fees; this deadline is adjusted for shorter Summer terms. Students who withdraw after this deadline are fully liable for fees and are not eligible for a refund, except as provided in policies set forth by the State Board of Education and Florida State University. Students who receive Title IV funds and who decide to withdraw from the University may be required to repay some or all of the funds received.

A student wishing to reenter the University for the following two semesters after withdrawal must have the approval of their academic dean on the ‘Application for Withdrawal and Reentry’ form. For degree-seeking students wishing to reenter the University after two semesters, an application for readmission must be submitted to the Office of Admissions; non-degree students must complete the original application process. Formal application must be made to the Office of Admissions by the published deadline. Students who left the University on dismissal must resolve that and be reinstated by the academic dean before any decision can be made on the readmission application. (Consult the “University Calendar” chapter of this Graduate Bulletin for specific application deadlines.)

International students who wish to withdraw must request and receive prior authorization from a Center for Global Engagement adviser. In addition, international students should submit the SEVIS Update Form, available at http://cge.fsu.edu/forms/f1forms/SEVISTransferForm.pdf.

For further information on refunds, see the ‘Refunds of Fees’ section in the “Financial Information” chapter of this Graduate Bulletin.

Readmission after Multiple Withdrawals

When a student has withdrawn from the University three or more times, subsequent readmission must first be considered by a committee whose charge is to assess the student’s capability of making satisfactory progress toward degree. This committee, appointed by the Council of Associate and Assistant Deans, will then make a recommendation to the dean of the student’s college, who will make the final decision.

Medical Course Drop/Withdrawal

Medical course drops are generally approved for unforeseeable illnesses or injuries that have interfered with the student’s ability to complete specific course(s). Similarly, medical withdrawals (all courses dropped) may be approved for acute, severe illnesses, or injuries that incapacitate the student. Chronic conditions generally do not qualify unless the student has been stable for a sustained length of time and then experiences an unexpected change in health status. Students with chronic or recurring health problems should consult with their clinicians and carefully assess a realistic class schedule based on their condition and their likelihood of relapses. At the time this Bulletin went to press, these polices were under review and may be subject to change. For information regarding medical course drops and medical withdrawals, visit http://withdrawal.fsu.edu/Medical-Mental-Health-Withdrawal-M-MHW or call the Withdrawal office at (850) 644-1741.

Guidelines for Field Placement Fitness

These guidelines apply to all student field placements, including internships, practicum experiences, and student teaching. The University has the authority to determine both the fitness of its students to be placed in field placements and the suitability of particular field placement sites. The academic judgment of qualified faculty, on issues relevant to the professional requirements of a given field, is critical to this process.

Students may either be denied a field placement or removed from a placement on the basis of the academic judgment of qualified faculty. Students have the right to be informed of the academic and non-academic requirements for obtaining a field placement early in their majors. They also have the right, except in emergency cases, to receive notice of their deficiencies and an opportunity to correct those deficiencies prior to a final decision. Students should consult the information provided by each specific college, department, or academic program of interest for more detailed information.

FLVC Information

All current and prospective students of higher education in the state of Florida may access the FLVC (Florida Virtual Campus) Web site. By logging on to http://www.flvc.org you can perform a variety of tasks, including the following:

  • View a map indicating the location of every participating college or university
  • Search course catalogs from all public and many private Florida colleges and universities
  • Get questions answered about financial aid
  • Plan your course of study and compare majors and degree requirements
  • Get a copy of your unofficial transcript
  • Investigate career options through your institution’s career center
  • Find out general information about every participating college or university in the program.

Each student is automatically assigned a PIN code to log on to the FLVC.org Web site. This PIN is also used when students wish to be transient students and take courses at another college/university for a semester. Your birth month and year (mmyy) has been assigned to you automatically as your FACTS PIN code. You must change your FACTS PIN code from the birth month/year default to a unique four-digit code. You may change your FACTS PIN code by logging on to http://my.fsu.edu and clicking the Secure Apps tab. From there, click the FACTS PIN link to change the PIN. Your FACTS PIN code may be changed as often as desired and should be regarded as confidential and under your control. Please memorize your new FACTS PIN code. You must have it to access your information through the FLVC.org Web site.

In order to provide security for a student’s confidential FACTS PIN by preventing further access, a lockout occurs after ten consecutive access denials for attempting to access a student’s confidential records. Should you get locked out, please call (850) 644-1050 to request reinstatement, and be prepared to provide proper identification.

Supervised Research and Teaching

Students may be granted credit for supervised research and supervised teaching at the option of their department. A student may register for such activity more than one term, using the same numbers and, again at the option of the department, may count the hours in meeting residency requirements for the degree program. No more than three semester hours of supervised research credit and three semester hours of supervised teaching credit may be counted toward the master’s degree. The limit for candidates for doctoral degrees is five semester hours in each category.

Credit for Short Courses

Short courses are offerings that are not regular curricular offerings. Credit will not be given for any short course or for similar program in excess of the equivalent of one credit hour for each week of the program, provided that each week contains the equivalent of fifteen contact hours. In no case shall credit be given for any short course or institute or similar program having a duration of less than two full weeks.

Individual Study Courses

A student registered for an individual study course must attend at least one conference a week on the campus. Directed individual studies are not permitted during an intersession period. The graduate-level directed individual study (DIS) is for S/U or letter-grade credit at the discretion of the department.

Changing of Major Department

Admission to graduate study is contingent on approval by the department in which the student proposes to major. Therefore, an enrolled student is not free to change major departments at will. A change must have the approval of the chair of the department into which the student proposes to transfer and of the academic dean of that department. The appropriate signed documentation should be forwarded to the Office of the University Registrar.

Degree-Seeking Status at Two Separate Institutions

Under certain circumstances students may wish to pursue degrees at Florida State University and another institution simultaneously. In all cases students in this situation must consult their Florida State University academic adviser and academic dean to request approval in advance. If approval is granted, students may enroll at Florida State University and another institution under the following conditions:

  1. Students are responsible for complying with all rules, regulations and policies of both institutions, including but not limited to: admission standards, academic rules, residency, fees, graduation requirements, university, college and departmental deadlines, and student codes of conduct. Florida State University is under no obligation to waive or otherwise modify any polices, requirements, or deadlines to facilitate the student’s enrollment at another institution.
  2. Enrollment certification and degree verification issued by Florida State University will be based solely on current registration hours with Florida State University and any awards, honors or degrees posted by Florida State University. The University will not combine enrollment or degree verification with another institution.
  3. Students receiving financial aid must designate one institution as the primary institution for financial distribution. The primary institution will be responsible for monitoring awards and delivery of aid. Florida State University will not combine enrollment hours with another institution for financial aid purposes.
  4. Students who are planning to transfer courses to Florida State University should seek advising in advance of doing so. The University limits the number of transfer hours a student may bring in depending on the type of degree and program. Hours used to satisfy a previous degree, either at Florida State or another institution, cannot be counted toward the current degree the student is pursuing.

Note: Different conditions, rules, and policies may apply in the event that Florida State University has an approved consortial or cooperative agreement with the second institution. Students should be aware that approval by Florida State University to pursue degrees at Florida State and another institution in no way binds the other institution to a similar approval. Students are encouraged to consult with the second institution about its policies before enrolling in any courses.

Official E-mail Accounts for All Students at Florida State University

The official method of communication at Florida State University is your FSU e-mail account. In order to stay informed and aware, you are required to set up and maintain your account and check it three times per week. If you choose to have your official FSU account forwarded to another e-mail account, you are still held responsible for all information distributed by the University to your FSU account.

Florida State University’s Information Technology Services now offers new communication and online collaboration services for students and alumni, which includes:

  • A free 10GB lifetime @my.fsu.edu e-mail account
  • Up to 25GB of free cloud-based file storage
  • Free online computer backup/synchronization utilities
  • Free online collaboration tools
  • Online MS Office Web Applications
  • Mobile access to FSU e-mail and more…

The myFSU service, which is funded in part by the University’s Student Technology Fee, replaced the University’s former e-mail system (@fsu.edu) for all students and alumni at the end of the Fall 2011 semester. Students and alumni should go to http://fsu.edu/myfsu to confirm their settings.

Questions regarding the activation of myFSU accounts can be answered by calling 644-HELP (4357) or visiting http://www.helpdesk.fsu.edu.

Student Addresses

Students are required to maintain their current local and permanent addresses with the university. Address updates may be done online at http://my.fsu.edu or in person at the Office of the University Registrar, 3900 University Center A.